Home Insurance in Ontario - What You Need to Know
You will need the following information to ensure quote accuracy:
- Square footage of your home
- Year your home was built
- Details on any upgrades or modifications
- Your exact address
- Your personal home insurance claims history
Home insurance prices in Ontario are determined by a few key factors:
- Insurance data - The home insurance carriers in your area, both city and province, will have compiled data over the years relating to the amount of home insurance claims in your area. If you’re fortunate enough to live in an area where there haven't been many claims, then your home insurance rates will be lower, all things equal, compared to someone that lives in an area where there have been frequent home insurance claims.
- The value of your home - This is important as the company insuring your home will need to know the potential replacement cost of your home. Of course, they and you both hope they’ll never need to replace your home due to a claim.
- Your home insurance history - Home insurers are interested in your personal, prior home insurance claims history. If applicable, be prepared to share your most recent 10 years of home insurance history. If you don’t have 10 years of home insurance history, you’ll need to disclose however many years you have.
We know a large factor in a person moving their home insurance policy from one company to another is price. Working with multiple Ontario home insurance providers allows us to give Ontarians a marketplace of options to choose from. It also allows us to be able to present clients an array of, potential, home insurance discounts they can be eligible for.
If you’re looking for ways to get affordable home insurance premiums, we have these discounts available through our insurance company partners in Ontario:
- Good credit discount
- Bundle discount
- Mortgage-free discount
- Gated community discount
- Alarm/home security discount
- Renewal discount
- Claims-free discount
- Age discount
- Sewer back-up discount
- New business discount
- Flex discount
- Loyalty discount
- Smoke-free home discount
- Household discount
- Multi-lines discount
- Occupational discount
If you think you qualify for any of the above, your Surex Personal Assistant will be happy to look into it and see how much we can save you on your home insurance rates in Ontario.
Some home insurance coverages in Ontario are mandated by insurers, depending on where you live and the amount of home insurance claims that have happened recently in that area. Overland flood coverage, in an area close to water or an area susceptible to flood would, likely, be required by a home insurer.
If you’d like to add additional coverages to your home insurance policy, that aren’t required, speak with your Surex Personal Assistant. They’ll be able to advise you on home insurance policy options, as well as how it’d impact your annual home insurance premium amount.
- Pink's Burgers, Hamilton
- Golden Star, Toronto
- The Stockyards Smokehouse & Larder, Toronto
- Square One Shopping Centre, Mississauga
- CF Toronto Eaton Centre, Toronto
- Yorkville Village, Toronto
- St George's Golf & Country Club
- Hamilton Golf & Country Club
- National Golf Club of Canada